Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Talking Cheese Post

First cheese topic: Blue Mozzarella
Around 70,000 mozzarella balls have been confiscated by authorities here in Italy after consumers reported last week that the cheese developed a blue tint when exposed to the air. Some of these blue balls were found in Torino. The experts say, even though they recalled the cheese from this batch, the blue tint contains no toxins and is eatable. Right. I still keep checking my fridge for foreign blue blobs. So far so good...
Second cheese topic: I Indulged on Brie
This might just be the best thing I have ever tasted. First I took a piece of brie from our local cheese shop. Keeping the rind on I slathered the top with preserves. I choose apricot.
Then I wrapped the cheese in puff pastry and brushed a little egg on top.
I baked it in the oven at 175C or 375F for 20 minutes and what came out was a ooey gooey sweet and salty molten cheesy heaven.
Third Cheesy Topic: Business Dinner Food?
Pier's family decided to have a business dinner meeting at our house and so we had to serve dinner. Avocados were on sale so I chose to make a chilled avocado salad with black beans, tomatoes, caramelized onions and a sprinkle of goat cheese on top for the starter. I was the only one who finished mine. Nobody else liked it. It was hardly a traditional Italian dish and so I think that might have been why, but who knows? I don't think they had ever had black beans before.I guess for these guests I should have made the usual fair which includes prosciutto and grassini breadsticks.
That's all the cheese for today,

2 comments:

Fausta Pavesio said...

I would have loved it Chelesea!
But you know that Italians are kind of strange - and my sister and brother in low....even more :-)
We had a great time with Pier playing golf in Biella, I hope to see you soon!
Ciao

Tati

Fausta Pavesio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.