Monday, June 6, 2011

Off the Beaten Track

  Some of my recent finds and favorite web time wasters.

1. Because sometimes I need a break from everyday Italian to take a dose of good 'ol Americana; The Grilled Cheese Invitational Competition (be sure and click on their Flickr pics for tons of drooling goodness) and the Tilamook inspirational grilled cheese pages. Oh to be a judge......
2. The Dinner Party Download a 15 to 20 minute podcast with 2 really funny guys that give you topics to make you sound witty and smart at your next dinner party.
3. Ellis Island website where I found my ancestors that arrived to America, what boat they were on and how old they were, and who they traveled with. I spent hours on this site!
4. The most beautiful villages in Italy (I Borghi piu belli d'Italia). Click on a region and see a list of where to find the most historically and well preserved towns. Site is in Italian and English. When you click on a town a wonderful page comes up with the town's history, directions, and some pictures.
5. Never believe that old saying that all of the good stuff has already been found because archaeological treasures are discovered everyday. The History Blog posts regularly on recent finds including a huge pot of Roman coins found in England and a Celtic tomb found in Germany.

1 comment:

Madalyn said...

I loved Ellis Island... went there last summer and spent a whole day exploring the exhibits. All that history gave me the chills...
ps. the grilled cheese looks delish!