Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Glamorous Life in Italy

Ah the glamorous life in Italy...yes let me let tell you about the fabulous life here. The day before yesterday our water heater just stopped working. Period. That means no hot showers, no warm home, no dishwasher, no laundry, and no Pier, because he was on a business trip in Turkey. Did I mention that it has been raining for 2 days now? Last night I burned everything I could find in the fireplace to keep warm. Old receipts, newspapers, recycling, boxes, and an old umbrella stick that I had been meaning to fix. Jolie and I went outside to forage for sticks of wood but the center of a bustling city like Torino is a tough place to find firewood. We came back with only a few twigs. Going on my 3rd day now, without a shower but wearing every sweater I own to keep warm and Jolie staying under the blankets.
For a brief moment I had a crazy thought that I was brave enough to take a cold shower. I could do it if I'm fast , right?! I got as far as turning the water on and taking off all my clothes but once I put one hand under the stream, I immediately pulled it back and ran and put all my clothes on again, plus a few more pairs of socks. Shards of ice was the only was to describe it.
Finally in the late afternoon, a very nice Italian man came to the house accompanied with my mother in law to take a look at my boiler. He opened it up (keep in mid that it is only months old) to find the whole thing rusted from the inside. See photo below:
My mother in law was immediately on the phone to the handy men that remodeled our apartment and installed our boiler. Friday they can come. Friday.
It might be a good time to become better acquainted with my neighbors.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Cold showers are the worst! They take my breath away---literally. Could you heat up some water on your stove? A basin of warm water can go a long way if you work it right.

labonnefemme1 said...

Show up with a cup of sugar... let them know that this is the cup that you intend to borrow from them in the future, but for now, you could please just use the shower!

Think warm thoughts, think warm thoughts...

Fashion Wrap Up said...

I love your blog and I love Italy - my husband and I travelled to Torino, Rome and Naples this past November. We have relatives in Levone...btw you have a little award on my blog : ) www.fashionwrapup@blogspot.com

Ciao ~ Christy