Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hello From Sundance!


A big hello from the Sundance Film Festival! I have been so busy working that I have now just barely been able to post something BUT it was so worth the wait! Crazy and surreal things happen in Park City at this time of year, in fact I can't count how many times I have said, Now I've seen everything.



My current favorite film is called Exit Thru The Gift Shop. It documents work by some of the most famous street artists working today including Banksy. If you don't know Banksy, you should. He is, in my opinion, the most interesting artist alive today and the best part is no one knows who or where he is or what he looks like. It's a brilliant mystery. Keeping his identity a secret has allowed him to put up his art in slightly illegal ways that draw alot of attention but don't get him in trouble. His work is beautiful, smart, always interesting and always right on. I definitely have an art crush but as I have no clue what he looks like my attraction is for his talent yes, but mostly for his sense of humor. He makes me laugh and I love him for that.



As his film was at Sundance, so was he. And as the true bandit that he is, he left his signature on Park City, incognito of course. When I heard the good news, I rushed to Main Street to take pictures of his works before they are destroyed by "the man" who have NO idea what they are doing as they cover up Banksy's colorful statements with boring gray sludge. Remember when Darth Vader shot the Death Star at Princess Leia's planet and Obi-Wan Kenobi fainted a little bit because he felt a strong disturbance in the force? That was me. I fainted a little bit as the street cleaners destroyed Banksy's mark on Park City Utah, home of only about 12,000 people. And he was here.


No comments: