Saturday, December 19, 2009

What is Panettone?


Panettone is a very egg-y and fluffy sweet cake made with raisins and dried citrus fruits, mostly eaten at Christmas. I have never met an Italian that didn't absolutely love panettone. This week the Torino newspaper La Stampa announced this years bakery's that make the top 10 best panettone. Now, I haven't really found one that I couldn't live without, I would trade it for a pumpkin pie or flourless chocolate cake any day. But this article got me thinking, maybe I should give panettone another chance. Maybe I have not had the Best cakes and that is why I have not yet fallen in love with it.

So I went online and did some research. I found all the addresses of the top 10 bakeries. 4 are in my neighborhood. So Pier and I have began a quest to find a cake that we can love. This quest focuses on trying as many as we can on the list. I'll do updates as we go along but first check out this video to see the art and the 3 days of work it takes to make just one pannettone.

http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=107&Itemid=799

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Our quest when we visited Italy several years ago was "A Gelato a Day". What's life without goals? (Especially goals that involve yummy treats.)